Huawei users have been warned they will be “significantly impacted” by Google restricting the Chinese firm’s access to its Android software. The block is the result of an executive order from US President Donald Trump last week which prevents “foreign adversaries” from accessing US technology without government approval. Industry expert Tristan Rayner, senior editor with the Android Authority news website, said the block means security updates to Huawei phones from Google will stop, and that buying a Huawei phone is now a “real risk”. “Existing Huawei device owners will be significantly impacted,” he said. Whether it’s someone with a brand new Huawei P30 Pro, which was unveiled last month, or the owner of an older Huawei Mate device that’s a few years old, it’s now clear that the
Chris Hughes helped Mark Zuckerberg transform Facebook from a dorm-room project into a real business. Now, he's calling for the company to be broken up.In a lengthy opinion piece published Thursday by the New York Times, Hughes says that Zuckerberg has "unchecked power" and influence "far beyond that of anyone else in the private sector or in government."It's time, he writes, for regulators to break up Facebook (FB). "Mark is a good, kind person. But I'm angry that his focus on growth led him to sacrifice security and civility for clicks," writes Hughes. "I'm disappointed in myself and the early Facebook team for not thinking more about how the News Feed algorithm could change our culture, influence elections and empower nationalist leaders," he continues. "And I'm worried that Mark has su
For a long time, the Play Store could be considered the wild west of app distribution, especially compared to Apple's inherently more restrictive App Store. Google is working on improvements though and is becoming more stringent on app permissions, among other things. Still, we're back with another ad fraud scheme right inside the Store, following in the footsteps of last year's Cheetah Mobile investigation. Another Chinese app developer, DO Global, is alleged to have added code in its apps that automatically clicks on ads without users' knowledge. BuzzFeed News first brought these findings to light in collaboration with security researchers Check Point and Method Media Intelligence. They found out that the app developer in question is a spin-off from Chinese giant Baidu who...
A Communications Authority of Kenya (CA) shows report covering October-December 2018 shows a dramatic spike in malware attacks, targeting mobile devices and which has seen unsuspecting Kenyans defrauded in online platforms. A proliferation of mobile applications on popular online stores is thus exposing Kenyans to increased cyberattacks and fraud, the latest sector statistics. ‘‘In particular, there was a rise in cases of malware and the sale of stolen data and credentials including personal data and credit card information,’’notes the report in part. Additionally, the report notes that cyber criminals are targeting their attacks on end-users who have limited cyber security skills. In the three months, the National Kenya Computer Incident Response Team –Coordination
The National Cybersecurity Centre (NCC) detected over 3.8 million cyber threats in the first quarter of 2018-2019, indicating that Kenyans continue to be at a high risk of online attacks. According to a new report by the Communications Authority of Kenya (CA), the threats represented an increase of 11.76 per cent from the last quarter of the year where 3.4 million threats were detected. CA attributed the increased threats to enhanced cyber threat detection capabilities through deployment of additional sensors and increased resources towards cyber threat analysis “The cyber threats detected varied from denial-of-service (DoS) including botnet and brute-force attacks that led to denial of computer services and illegal access to computer systems; online impersonation