A Kenyan lecturer has come up with an app that can be used for COVID-19 contact tracing, which has become important in this unpredictable year.
Masinde Muliro University took to their their Facebook page and said, “Dr. Tecla Sum of MMUST shows how to operate a mobile application (eKonnect) that she invented. The APP has the ability to carry out seamless Covid-19 contact tracing and other infectious diseases as well as locate and alert nearest health care facilities and ambulances.”
According to her, the eKonnect app’s primary goal is to “save the largest number of survivors from COVID-19 pandemic.”
We have secured patent for the App
On a phone interview, Dr. Sum confirmed a number of things about the app. She developed it as part of her post-doctoral program in Emergency and Trauma Systems Management last year, way before COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic. The university already has secured a patent for the app.
The service is scheduled to start a pilot in Busia, Bungoma and Kakamega counties from next week according to Dr. Sum. Her team is targetting a sample size of 10,000 people to test her system. She says that they will liaise with the Ministry of Health to roll out the app to the entire country after piloting at Busia, Bungoma and Kakamega counties.
- A cloud-based application tool used to strengthen disease surveillance within the health care system.
- Assisting in the control of infectious diseases through contact- tracing and delivery of optimal health care and improved patient outcome.
- A system is designed to assist the reduction of mortality cases from various diseases, infections, and its associated healthcare burdens.
- A tool critical to trace the care processes of the casualties.
- Besides infectious disease, the parameters in the application will be used in the traceability of patient care in medical emergency situations from the scene of the accident, transportation, definitive care settings, specialized care settings, during discharge, follow up and rehabilitation, and until full recovery of the patient.
- A tool to trace and activate ambulances near the scenes of accidents for purposes of achieving the Golden Hour required during emergency services
- The demographic characteristics of an individual, ambulance, hospital, healthcare provider are all encrypted in the administrator’s interface (MACS) to ease and fasten traceability
Read more: itbusinessdirect: DStv to add Netflix and Amazon Prime Video on its platforms in a strategic shift